LBM UHPC offers Architects and Engineers a new world to realize their construction ideas.
Bridges are among the oldest, most important, and most prominent construction tasks. For a long time, bridge construction was mainly characterized by functional criteria, but nowadays more and more attention is paid to visual appearance. Highly developed building technologies can be used to create exciting, previously unimaginable constructions.
Several characteristics of LBM UHPC make it a desirable construction material. With increased compressive and tensile strengths, the material lends itself well to structural applications by allowing higher loads to be supported. By utilizing the higher strengths, traditional structural components can also be reduced in size and weight.
LBM UHPC can be installed on-site as grouting concrete or in the form of prefabricated elements. Due to the much higher strength value of LBM UHPC, it is also possible to use higher preload forces.
Another benefit of LBM UHPC is the high density of the material making it essentially impermeable to water and chlorides, thus making the material highly durable. Both characteristics also make LBM UHPC attractive in areas of high impact and where water or chloride ions can corrode steel reinforcement.
Advantages of LBM UHPC
- High compressive strength 120 MPa – 240 MPa / 14500 psi – 34800 psi
- Fast development of compressive and tensile strengths
- High modulus of elasticity
- High wear and impact resistant
- Absolute frost and thaw resistant
- Impermeable to fluids but still vapor permeable
- Anti-corrosive features
- Absolute saltwater resistant
- Good bonding to sub-bases, aggregates, and reinforcement
- High temperature resistant
- Fast curing
- Short repair stops
- Jointless lining
Elements of a bridge that can be executed with LBM UHPC
Bridge deck and bridge deck pavement
Prestressed concrete foundation
LBM UHPC – Joint Fill
LBM UHPC as a castable fiber-reinforced joint fill to bond prefabricated concrete bridge elements of any size and geometry together. By using LBM UHPC castable concrete, the joint dimensions can be reduced to an absolute minimum.
Installation times and repair times can also be reduced.
It is the best technical solution for bridge construction, modernization, or repair.
Repair and maintenance work:
Bridges, in particular, highway bridges are subject to permanent dynamic loads due to increasing traffic. Dilapidated concrete of the bridge pillar constructions endangers the entire bridge construction. Normal concretes require complex repair preparations.
The general solution is to remove “sick” concrete, repair reinforcement, and apply a layer of LBM UHPC.
- On deck a castable LBM UHPC Top layer solution
- On pillars/beams we can use molds and a pumpable castable shrinkage reduced LBM UHPC or an LBM UHPC Shotcrete solution
- Underneath a bridge, we can use LBM UHPC Shotcrete
- Very high adhesion
- Very high-pressure resistance
- Very high early strength development
- Since LBM UHPC has no or only extremely low pore volume, corrosion protection treatment of the reinforcing steel is not necessary.
- Similarly, a complex cleaning and treatment of the damaged area are not necessary, a simple standard cleaning is sufficient.
- LBM UHPC can be installed as a self-compacting grout, mortar, shotcrete, or gunite.
- Processing on or underwater in the foundation area is easily possible as LBM UHPC cures underwater.
Repair and extension of the remaining life of orthotropic bridges with LBM UHPC concrete:
There are more than 1000 bridges built worldwide with orthotropic deck slab constructions. One of the successful repair methods or methods of extending the remaining life of this construction is the use of reinforced UHPC concrete.
Example of a bridge rehabilitation plan:
1. Remove the existing asphalt layer
2. Examination of the steel plates for cracks and other damaged areas
3. Repair the cracks and damaged areas found
4. Sandblast the plate surface for optimal epoxy adhesion
5. Apply a thin two-component epoxy layer and sprinkle with bauxite, granite, or hyberite.
6. Aspirate loose granules
7. Installation of UHPC concrete
8. Compacting, smoothing, curing
9. Shot blasting of the concrete surface to increase the road grip
Repair and maintenance of masonry and historical bridges with LBM UHPC material:
Advantages of using LBM UHPC material:
- LBM UHPC can be adapted to the requirements of the individual historical bridge in terms of strength, processability, adhesion, and strength development.
- LBM UHPC material has very good flowability and self-compacting. Some LBM UHPC is made with extremely fine raw materials so it penetrates the finest joints and cracks.
- Processing on or underwater in the foundation area is easily possible. LBM UHPC cures underwater.